Explore The Museums Discovery Centre
Welcome to the Museums Discovery Centre
The Museums Discovery Centre is a fab morning out if you enjoy Australian history and memorabilia. There are 1000’s of items on display from furniture, to old electronics, cars, trains and buses and household goods. The museum is actually a storage area for three Sydney museums – The Australian Museum, Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences and Sydney Living Museums.
The museum is a good rainy day activity or for those who enjoy history. All up I think the museum is most suited to older kids or adults – there’s a lot of information to take in but not as many hands on displays as other museums.
Excitingly the Museum has recently announced that entry is now FREE (it was previously $10.00 for adults). It is important to note that the museum is now only open on weekends or weekdays for group bookings.
The six stores display items from different museum categories
Take a tour
Fun for the kids
Whilst the museum is probably not the most child friendly one in Sydney, there are a couple of activities that children will enjoy. Kids can pick up a Bunnykins Discovery Trail activity or Adventurer logbook from the reception. The different activities are age based and provide entertainment for the kids while parents get to look around.
The centre also includes a kids activity area, near the reception. The area includes some craft materials and games.
Kids will enjoy the kids corner
Five reasons to visit Museums Discovery Centre
- View thousands of items otherwise not on display
- Get hands on and open the storage drawers
- Take the free tour at 11.30am each day
- Find out more information via the touch screens
- Let the kids get creative in the kids area
- Entry: Yes, only open Saturday and Sunday. The museum is open Wednesday to Friday by appointment.
- Toilets: Yes
- Wheelchair friendly: Yes
- Free carparking: Yes
- Free BBQ facilities: No
- Time to spend here: 1 – 2 hours
- Food available: No
- Address: 172 Showground Road, Castle Hill NSW 2154 (enter off Green Road)
- Further details: maas.museum/museums-discovery-centre
More free things to do
After exploring the museum why not: