The Rocks Discovery Museum
If you are in The Rocks area then put The Rocks Discovery Museum on the To Do List! Housed in an 1850s sandstone warehouse this pint sized museum is packed with interesting displays and historical info.
Entry is FREE, the displays are interactive and the building is fantastic so why wouldn’t you!
Explore the permanent exhibitions
Broken into four key permanent exhibitions the museum traces the history of The Rocks area from pre-colonisation to today. The permanent exhibitions are:
- Warrane (pre-1788) – the Warrane exhibition is dedicated to the original inhabitants of The Rocks area – the Gadigal people.
- Colony (1788–1820) – learn about the colonisation of Sydney
- Port (1820–1900) – hear about how the colony thrived and grew
- Transformations (1900–present) – see how The Rocks grew to where it is today.
The exhibitions are interactive and interesting
Touch and feel
As you wander around the museum make use of the interactive displays and media. Also make sure to look up and around – the building itself is very impressive and the blend of old and new has been done well.
Impressive blend of old and new
Bring the kids
The Rocks Discovery Museum is great for kids. They will love the interactive displays and the media in each exhibition. There is also a kids discovery corner on level 2, where they can make their own museum display, pick up some fact sheets, do their family tree and take a virtual tour of the museum on the computer.
Cosy kids corner
The Rocks Discovery Museum is set over two levels with some steep stairs. There is a lift but it is out of order (as at March 2019).
The lower level of the museum is accessible to wheelchairs and prams, however the upper level is not.
Take a break
Just behind the museum is a great little paved alley way that has some bench chairs and seating. This is a great place to stop for a bite to eat or to rest weary legs. Across the museum is also a sweet making shop – perfect for the little ones! You can access the alley by a door to the left of the reception area.
Have a quick break
Five reasons to visit The Rocks Discovery Museum
- Discover the history of The Rocks
- Enjoy the interactive displays
- Admire the architecture of the 1850s building
- Great activities for kids
- See artifacts from The Big Dig
- Entry: Free
- Toilets: Yes (next door)
- Wheelchair friendly: Yes, level 1 only
- Free carparking: No
- Free BBQ facilities: No
- Time to spend here: 1 hour
- Food available: No
- Address: Kendall Lane, The Rocks (enter via Argyle Street) Sydney NSW 2000
- Further details: Visit The Rocks Discovery Museum directory listing
More free things to do
After exploring the garden why not:
- Enjoy more attractions in The Rocks
- Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art
- Stroll through Circular Quay